The Enforcement Process
Effective October 1, 2019, CFP Board's new Code of Ethics and Standards of Conduct replaced CFP Board’s Code of Ethics, Rules of Conduct, Financial Planning Practice Standards and Terminology. The new Code and Standards are being enforced as of June 30, 2020.
CFP Board enforces its Code and Standards through a peer-review process set forth in its Procedural Rules that is credible to the public and fair to those whose conduct is being evaluated. The process includes:
- Written notice of the allegations and potential grounds for sanction.
- An opportunity to present documents, witnesses and arguments at a hearing.
- The right to be represented by counsel of the Respondent's choice.
- A written order from CFP Board's Disciplinary and Ethics Commission that sets forth the basis for the decision.
- The right to appeal to CFP Board’s Appeals Commission.
You can also access the entire Enforcement Video Series.